1 Apt. 2B Baking Co.: Passionfruit Sorbet

Friday, June 3, 2011

Passionfruit Sorbet






Have you heard? Our Lady of Mother Nature forgot to bless New York with spring this year and with temps in the 80s (with high humidity) going strong, turning on the oven in our studio apartment is a big time no-no. I have been visiting 101cookbooks almost daily and expanding my no-cook dinner repertoire and sadly, I have not been baking any sweet treats. However, I have been putting my ice cream machine and ice pop molds to work and this is the first of many cooling treats I hope to share with you in the coming weeks. Now, the hardest thing about making this sorbet is finding passionfruit puree, which isn't all that hard if you have a Latin grocery store anywhere near your hood, just look in the freezer section for packages labeled maracuya or parcha and you are ready to go.

Passionfruit Sorbet

1 1/4c sugar
1c water
2 1/2c passionfruit puree (about 1 1/2 14oz packages)
juice of 1/2 a lime
1/2 of a vanilla bean (optional)
1T vodka (see note)

1. Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and heat until all of the sugar is dissolved. If you are using a vanilla bean, scrape the seeds and add to the sugar water mixture with the bean pod, remove the pod after boiling. I used organic cane sugar in my syrup which is why it is slightly yellow in color. Set aside to cool
2. Combine the syrup, passionfruit puree, lime juice and vodka. Chill completely before adding it to your ice cream machine.
3. Freeze according to your machine's specifications, then scrape into a freezer safe container and freeze for a few hours before scooping, about 4 hours.

Notes:
- I like to store my sorbet in a shallow dish so it is easy to scoop.
- The vodka is included in the recipe to help keep the sorbet scoopable when frozen, if you don't drink alcohol you can easily leave it out, just make sure to let it warm up a bit for easier scooping.
- I found my passionfruit puree at Western Beef in the freezer section for about $2.50 per package or if you are feeling fancy, you can buy a case of passionfruit and make your own puree. I was too hot (and cheap) to feel fancy this time.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That looks delicious!!! And colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why it took me so long to try this recipe. I just made it, only I used the mango puree from Trader Joes instead of passionfruit, and it is the most delicious and refreshing summer dessert ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks incredible! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm going to try to make this in my fancy blender.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!