Thursday, September 1, 2011

Summer's End Jam








As summer draws to close I am left thinking about all of the things that I haven't yet checked off of my summer to-do list. There was not nearly enough barbecuing on friend's rooftops, I haven't made it to Governor's Island or watched an outdoor movie and I still have that bag of tart cherries in the freezer, just waiting to be made into pie. Usually, this would send me into a bit of a panic, but instead of feeling like I am fighting the clock, I am just going to enjoy these last few weeks of summer. My best pal from Seattle is in town and we are going to take advantage of these last warm days and nights together walking around and eating ice cream and I am going to do my best to preserve all of my favorite summer flavors before the pumpkins roll in.

Summer's End Jam
yield, 4-6 half pints of finished jam
2 1/2 lbs (40oz) mixed berries (I used 24oz blueberries, 8oz blackberries, and 8oz raspberries)
1 1/4 lbs (20oz) sugar
juice of 2 large lemons
4-6 sterilized half pint canning jars and lids

1. In a large bowl, use a potato masher to mash the berries to a pulp, leaving a few larger pieces for texture. Add the pulp to a canning pot, along with the sugar.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat, stirring occasionally. As the jam comes to a boil, skim the foam that rises to the top of the pot and discard.
3. Boil the jam over medium high heat, stirring often and being careful not to let the bottom scorch until set, 25-30min, remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. I generally use the wrinkle test to check for doneness with this type of jam, but if you like numbers you can cook it to 220ºF.
4. Pour the jam into sterilized jars, then process in a boiling water bath for 10min.

13 comments:

  1. Unfortunately berries here have price of pure gold so I can't make something like this...but this looks sooo good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delish! One of these days I will can. I'm thinking my time is short if I want to get it in this season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a bit chilly here in Boulder, CO today, and I was just having the same thoughts. I can't believe how quickly summer is passing by, and there are things I never got around to doing. I do love autumn, though. Your pictures of the jam are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good, haven't made jam myself before and I don't think I can manage right now but this certainly looks great. Love your blog, your new reader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous shots! I love berries so much and will definitely miss them when summer is gone. I may just have to make a bunch of jam myself. I like how you don't add pectin but let the natural pectin in the fruit do its job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy yummy! This post is even better now that I have tasted the jam myself! Miss you already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful colors. When I make this jam, I call it my Tripleberry Jam. Since it costs so much to make, I only give it to "special" people. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made a pie last weekend with the same fruit. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delectable as always. I am a huge fan of your dishtowels to be quite frank with you my dear, where can I get some?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Libby- that grey and black one is my fave! I got it from Fish's Eddy. I don't see it on their website, but the brand is now designs and it comes in red and blue stripes too. Maybe you can find it somewhere else? The red and white one is just a cheapo from IKEA and I've also been buying dishtowel fabric from FabricDepot.com. I am building quite a collection of striped towels...Oh, and this site has really beautiful linens too http://www.linenme.com/us/

    ReplyDelete
  11. For those who don't have the patience to can or the time or are just lazy like myself, freezer jam is an easy alternative. no cooking, store in freezer/refrigerator. Taste is different than a berry preserve, but still "berry" good!
    hope all is well this you Yossy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I use frozen berries to make this? to cut down a cost?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!