Friday, October 12, 2012
Don't be alarmed. Yes, that is a pizza. I mean a girl can't survive on sugar alone, right? So, when my pal Kristin asked me to join in on the blog relay she was organizing for Real Simple's month of stress free dinners I couldn't help but say yes. Surprising no one, I immediately beelined for this pizza recipe that combines my two favorite culinary traditions: a meal based on bread and "putting an egg on it". Topping a bowl leftovers with a fried egg is just about my favorite lunch (and breakfast and dinner), but this was my first go at throwing an egg on pizza and as the saying goes, it won't be my last.
For more fun pizza recipes, including a pepperoni and pickle (!) rendition hop on over here.
Mushroom and Egg Pizzas
adapted from Real Simple
In lieu of marinara sauce, I like to sauce my pizza with a few tomatoes blended up with a bit of garlic, red pepper flakes and salt so that's what I did here. Also, you'd never know it from the way that I bake, but we are a mostly dairy free household so I used Daiya mozzarella style shreds instead of mozzarella (now you know my secret).
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the baking sheets
1 pound pizza dough
1 cup marinara sauce
8 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
4 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
salt and pepper
4 large eggs
5 ounces mixed greens
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Preheat oven to 425º
1. Brush two large baking sheets with oil. On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into four 8-inch rounds and place on baking sheets.
2. Divide the sauce evenly between the four pizzas then top each with mozzarella, mushrooms and onions. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Slide the pizzas into the oven and bake, rotating the sheets halfway through, just until the crust begins to brown.
4. Remove the pizzas from the oven and carefully crack an egg on top of each pizza and return the baking sheets to the oven. Bake until the egg whites are set 5-7 minutes.
5. In a large bowl, toss the greens with the vinegar and 2 tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with the pizzas.