1 Apt. 2B Baking Co.: Happy Birthday

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Happy Birthday

birthday cake birtday cake

birthday cake

birthday cake

Brown Sugar Buttermilk Cake with Roasted Strawberry Frosting

oreo cake

Untitled

birthday cake 

Ombre Cake

birthday cake-

I hope you all don't mind if I take a brief break from the rhubarb extravaganza today because today is P's birthday (mine too!) and I haven't yet added a rhubarb cake to my repertoire. We never make a big deal out of celebrating because frankly, being the center of attention in any circumstance makes me nervous, but I always like to dust off my turntable to make us a cake. This year, I think I am going to keep it simple with an angel food cake covered in the first strawberries of the season and billowy mounds of whipped coconut cream. I think I'll probably pick up some donuts too, for good measure. I'll make sure to report back if it's good.

Here are some cakes from the archives that would all make excellent birthday treats

A Chocolate Cake Fit For Celebrations: Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache and Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Almond Cake with Cherry Filling and Ombre Frosting
Brown Sugar Buttermilk Cake with Roasted Strawberry Meringue Buttercream
Vanilla Poundcake with Vanilla Buttercream and Raspberries
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Swiss Meringue Buttercream

And a bonus tip:

Try adding crushed Oreos or Newman O's to vanilla buttercream for cookies and cream frosting or a hefty dose (4 tablespoons or so, dissolved in the milk) of instant espresso powder for coffee frosting. Better yet, add them both and call it Cappuccino Cookie Frosting, delish.

birthday cake

21 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Report back soon - it's my birthday in June and I always make a cake - it's my big treat to myself. I'm into coconut right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I'll take a slice of each cake, please...holy, wonder how long that would take! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! And good gracious, those cakes are so, so beautiful. You have such a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to the both of you lovely people!! Love seeing your collection of cakes all together and can't wait to see the pics of your new trial cake ;) Have a great day and we'll see you soon, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! What a stunning collection of cakes :-) Hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! Those cakes all sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Yossy and Pete! Love the cake collection. We will celebrate together soon!
    Love Mom : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to you, Yossy! You certainly have a handle on the cakes, holy jeez. And yeah, absolutely donuts for good measure. Live it up, lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! So many great cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday all around!! Gosh... now I must have cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to you! You bake a good cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated birthday wishes [and many more!] dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. these cakes make me wish it was my bday right now

    ReplyDelete
  14. The beauty and deliciousness of all these cakes are overwhelming! I think it's the third time I check this post because I can't get enough of looking at your amazing cakes and the wonderful pictures you took.
    I'm in love with your blog, thanks for being an inspiration to me and for having one of the best food blogs I have ever had the pleasure to discover.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. those cakes look divine! i hope you had a wonderful birthday, my daughter's birthday was the 26th, May is a good month to be born in. I have nothing compared to your wonderfulness, but I have a little blog myself if you want to head over to wordpress

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthay :) great cake colection, and great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm enjoying looking at the cakes and their recipes. Happy belated birthdays! I make a burnt sugar cake or a german chocolate cake for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. me oh my. perfection in cake form. let them eat cake!
    xx
    http://petalandplume.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy belated birthday Yossy! Hope you had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your cakes are beautiful, and have shown me that the frosting doesn't have to look perfectly smooth as I always try to achieve. I love the spatula pattern on yours. This is yet another bit of inspiration for me to finally attempt meringue buttercream.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!