1 Apt. 2B Baking Co.: Concord Grape Jam and Concord Grape Handpies

Monday, September 30, 2013

Concord Grape Jam and Concord Grape Handpies

concord grapes concord grape jam concord grape hand pies

I love that you can tell I took these three photos over the course of a day. Fresh grapes in the morning, grape jam by midday, and by evening there were grape hand pies fresh and warm. I've written about my love for concord grapes on this here blog a couple of times, but this year was the first time I went all of the way and made myself a proper batch of grape jam to (hopefully) last the year.

I preserved a lot less this summer than I have in years past. Partly because I was busier than usual and partly because I wanted to make sure that I was only putting up things I really wanted to eat later in the year. Judging by the fact that we ran through an entire pint of this jam in about a week I think I stumbled upon a winner.

Once you've put the jam together, the hand pies are really a cinch to put together. Just roll out a pie crust, cut it up, dot it with jam and bake until golden and crisp.

Concord Grape Jam
adapted from The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
yield, 5-6 half pints

4lbs stemmed Concord grapes
2 1/4 pounds sugar
3 ounces lemon juice
1 ounce orange juice

1. Separate the flesh of the grapes from the skins by gently pinching the flesh from each grape, being careful to catch all of the grape juices. Reserve the skins. Add the grape flesh to a small saucepan and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until the seeds start to separate from the flesh. Force as much of the grape pulp through a fine mesh sieve as possible and discard the seeds.
2. Add the grape pulp, skins, sugar, and juices to a large non-reactive pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook the jam, stirring occasionally, until it comes to 220º or passes the wrinkle test, 20-30 minutes. Test the jam after 20 minutes to prevent overcooking. Ladle the finished jam into clean jars and process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Concord Grape Hand Pies
yield 6 hand pies

One batch of your favorite double-crust pie dough: See my favorites here and here
3/4 cup concord grape jam
1 egg for egg wash
2 Tablespoons coarse sugar

Preheat oven to 400º

Roll the dough into a rectangle roughly 12 inches by 16 inches and 1/8''-1/4'' thick. Use a knife to cut the dough into even rectangles roughly 3 inches by 4 inches. Brush the edges of half of the rectangles with egg wash (these will be the bottom crusts) and top each rectangle with about 2 Tablespoons of jam. Top each pie with another piece of dough and crimp the edges with a fork. Move the pies to a baking sheet and refrigerate 15 minutes or until firm. When you are ready to bake the pies, brush each one with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar then cut a vent into the top. Bake the pies for 20-25 minutes or until deep golden brown.
  concord grape hand piesconcord grapesconcord grape hand pies

15 comments:

  1. Wow! I have a half of my huge porch covered with those grapes, and I never thought of making jam, always only wine! This seems to be a very good idea for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so gorgeous! I have never had grape pie before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good idea with the pies! I definitely have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Confession: I have never had a concord grape. But these pies look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wowzer, these look delicious! I'm going to try and track down these grapes...
    Lucy xo | We Resolve Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wowzer, these look delicious! I'm going to try and track down these grapes...
    Lucy xo | We Resolve Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore Concord grapes and the hand pies look like a real treat. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Yossy!

    I am a newbie blogger trying to connect with fellow bloggers and i LOVE your blog. It's inspirational and this is just what I needed to see today. Whew, that looks so delicious it is on my "to bake" list this weekend! Thank you! :)

    Happy Tuesday!
    -Iva

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy your photography of your cooking creations. Your compositions tell how real cooks and bakers work, from raw goods to used empty pots, to baked morsels right out of the oven. Lots of it is messy, not perfect, which provides us readers with a good feeling of how it must have been to be there with you, as you worked. But I do miss not being able to partake of your results :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wei, that is such a lovely compliment.

      Delete
  10. I've never made grape jam...I wonder why! I must have been missing on something. Thank you for the inspiration (and probably making my life even more delicious than it already is)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dottie - Love the look of these pies and I love to work with rolled crusts. I definitely want to try these fabulous looking goodies! I made Concord grape jelly for the first time this year and it is delicious and I plan to use some for these pies. FYI, I know you relied on the natural pectin from the grapes to set your jam. The BALL Co. puts out a low/no sugar pectin that gives a good set without using much or any sugar. It's my go-to for all jams. and jellies. Thank you for your grape hand pie recipe. You did a terrific job on providing directions and photos to follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I usually only make grape juice from my grapes, but this year I added grape jelly. WOW so good! I wonder if jelly will work in the hand pies. When I bought the grape vines, they were labeled red flame seedless grapes, but they have seeds and this weird rubbery middle. However, the juice is very sweet. So now your hand pies can be added to my recipes with grapes, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your photographs, you're really talented. Do you use film?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!