1 Apt. 2B Baking Co.: Chocolate Irish Cream Candies

Monday, March 12, 2012

Chocolate Irish Cream Candies


783aref-R1-058-27A

Due to the unseasonably warm temps we've been enjoying in NY, Spring cleaning (and picnic season!) is starting a little early in Apt 2B. I like to take Spring cleaning nice and slow so I usually start with the pantry/kitchen where I am guaranteed to find all kinds of fun (ugh, and not so fun) things hiding. My first discovery this year was a sad, half empty bottle of Baileys from who knows when that I revived into these seasonally appropriate chocolate candies. I invited a pal to enjoy them with me in the park over a game or two of Bananagrams. It was warm and breezy and everything was perfect until a pair of dudes and their techno music ruined our sun soaked afternoon, but I digress. These sweet and salty treats require a candy thermometer to make, but I'd say they're pretty low on the difficulty scale. Just dump the first 5 ingredients into a big pot and cook them until they're good and hot, add some chocolate, sprinkle some salt and they're done. Texture wise, I'd put these candies somewhere between fudge and caramels; firm from the chocolate and soft and chewy from the cooked sugar.

Chocolate Irish Cream Candies
adapted from Vanilla Garlic

1c heavy cream
1/2c Irish Cream liquor
1 1/2c sugar
1 1/2c golden syrup (or corn syrup)
1t salt
9oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped finely
1t flaky salt for sprinkling (optional)

1. Line a 9x9 pan with a piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil and grease well.
2. In a large, heavy bottomed combine the heavy cream, Irish Cream, sugar and corn syrup. Over medium high heat bring the mixture to a boil and cook until it reaches 250º (or 248º for slightly softer candies). Remove from heat and let cool for 5min.
3. Stir in the chopped chocolate and pour into the prepared pan. Smooth the top and sprinkle with flaky salt if desired.
4. Cool completely and cut into 1'' cubes with a sharp, hot knife. In between cuts I run my knife under hot tap water then dry it off and slice. Wrap in parchment or waxed paper squares and keep the candies in an airtight container to store.

26 comments:

  1. hmm i wonder if i could swap bourbon in instead....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds yummy! If you plan to use bourbon I would try using 1 1/4c of heavy cream and 1/4c bourbon. You want to make sure you try to keep the fat:sugar ratio pretty equal to what's stated in the recipe or the texture may get funky. That said, I'm not sure it would work at all so proceed at your own risk :)

      Delete
    2. You could also try using 1 1/2c of heavy cream and 2T of bourbon, but again, no guarantees!

      Delete
  2. Oh yum. Why is it that Baileys tends end up in a sad half empty state?! These little guys look wonderfully festive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there - for flaky salt, would kosher salt work? If not what do you recommend? Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't have flaky salt, kosher would definitely work. Just use a light sprinkling on top, you may or may not want to use an entire teaspoon.

      Delete
  4. I love this idea, and I'm sure my Irish-born husband will too! Wishing you a happy St. Patrick's Day (early) from the O'Toole's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are gorgeous. what a great treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog, the pohtos are great, also the recipe....following you .

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look fabulous, Yossy. I would have to make them very deliberately, because if we have a bottle of Baileys in the house, it never gets lost. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I'll definitely have to try that one...

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delicious! How long would these last at room temperature?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they'd last a week or two if you kept them in an airtight container. The texture may change a bit over time, but they'll still be tasty.

      Delete
  10. I love the swirled surface on the candy. The parchment packaging is cute as well! xo nicole

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally have a half-empty bottle of Baileys and was recently wondering what on EARTH i was going to do with it. This is perfect! And so appropriate for st patricks day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. a caramel and a mint all wrapped into a nice little package!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this looks absolutely great! Bite size too, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum - yes please! Great blog - just came across it - it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How could I not make this. Just changing the cream to coconut cream I think.

    Spring sunset greetings from Finland.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I see you listed golden/corn syrup in your list of ingredients but didn't mention it in the directions. Did you end up using the syrup? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that, the corn syrup should go in with the sugar, cream, irish cream. Thanks for catching my mistake!

      Delete
  17. These look fantastic!
    http://adventuresofdutchandme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice idea.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If I wanted to make this for this coming chrismas, how far ahead could they be made and stored? Can they be frozen?

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea, love the wrapping. You've got me anticipating spring picnics in the park :) ps beautiful photos+website!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!