1 Apt. 2B Baking Co.: Thanksgiving

Friday, November 16, 2012

Thanksgiving

t-day-1-7 t-day t-day-3

I've never hosted Thanksgiving dinner so I can't give you any tips on how to roast the juiciest bird or make the fluffiest mashed potatoes (I like them chunky anyway), but I do know how to make some killer Thanksgiving pies. I like to keep it pretty traditional for turkey day and I also like to give people options, so I think I'll end up making some classic pumpkin pies with lots of whipped cream and simple apple tarts with creme fraiche to feed the crowd I'll be dining with this year. I might even get wild and throw some quince or cranberries into my apple tarts, but I think I'll take the temperature of my dinner companions before going for it. I'd love to hear your plans in the comments!

If you are still pondering your own Thanksgiving menu, here are a few recipes from the archives that would be great additions to your holiday spread. Don't forget, you can make pie crust days in advance and freeze it, well wrapped. Just make sure to give the crusts at least 8 hours to defrost in the refrigerator before you roll them out to make your pies.

Apple and Quince Gingerbread
Apple, Quince and Cranberry Pie
Buttermilk Biscuits
Caramelized Pumpkin Puddings (GF)
Classic Apple Pie
Cranberry Quince Preserves (GF)
Persimmon Bread
Quince Custard Cake
Quince Frangipane Tartlets
Quince Upside Down Cake
Skillet Cornbread with JalapeƱo Honey Butter (GF)
Squash Harvest Bread
Whole Wheat Cheese Straws

All of these photos are from Thanksgiving 2011 at the beautiful home of a friend in Connecticut. We'll be there again this year and I can't wait!

Special thanks to the reader who gave me the tip about finding winter luxury pumpkins in NYC. I bought three from Tamarack Hollow Farm last Wednesday at the Union Square Greenmarket and I can't wait to roast them and turn them into pie!

t-day-2

7 comments:

  1. Lovely photos you have here. Especially the pie one, I would frame it and hang it in my dining area, seriously! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marina! Let me know if you'd like to buy a print, I'd love for you to have one.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful home to spend time in and that cutlery is gorgeous. I also love the photo of the pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanksgiving! I am getting excited now, I think I'm going to go for that skillet cornbread to mix it up a bit OR maybe persimmon bread because I think my mom has some version of a persimmon growing in her yard. Fun. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pies look amazing and I love the ornate silver!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!