Monday, March 4, 2013

Blood Orangecello

blood orange-5

Since we last met, P and have I traded apartment 2b for apartment #2, in a new neighborhood across the river. We spent our first six years in this grand city in a lovely and bright studio apartment near Central Park and I will spare you all the nostalgia trip that we went on while packing up that part of our lives, but I will share this extremely insightful pearl of wisdom: Moving is hard. Not just the packing and stacking and spackling and painting. It's the moving on that will get you.

blood orange

Even though we were ready for the change, the transition was tough. I may have shed a few sentimental tears as we waved goodbye to our giant non-functional fireplace and exposed brick wall, but onward and upward. I mean, in our new place, we have a spice drawer (!) and a big huge window in the kitchen which seems utterly luxurious after cooking in this space for so long. We also have an entire room just for sleeping and a separate one for eating too. This is known to the rest of the world as a bed room and dining room respectively and these things are very exciting for a couple who lived together in one room for six years.

blood orange-1-5

After the chaos from the move settled, I realized a bit too late that I had missed most of citrus season. I mean, I probably ate my weight in grapefruit, but I didn't really make anything (unlike last year's citrus bonanza), mostly because we didn't have any kitchen cabinets or counters for a few weeks, but that's another story for another day. For now, there's this blood orangecello and even though our new place is still a bit, ehem, rough around the edges, it's nothing that a little sip of something boozy and some more paint can't fix.

Blood Orangecello
adapted from Jammy Chicken
This is a variation on the ever popular Italian spirit limoncello. It tastes wonderful poured over a citrus sorbet or sip it as is. Just make sure it is very, very cold.

8 blood oranges
4 cups vodka
2 cups granulated sugar
Large glass jar with a tight fitting lid

Wash and scrub your citrus thoroughly. Use a Y peeler to remove the zest from the oranges, being careful not to get any of the white pith. Add the zest to the large glass jar. Juice the oranges and add the juice to the jar. Pour in the vodka and sugar, put the lid on the jar and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.

Store the jar in a cool, dry place and shake it everyday for a week. Then after that shake the jar about once a week for at least 3 weeks and up to 6. After 3-6 weeks, strain the mixture into a clean jar to remove the zest, then strain again through a coffee filter.

Store the finished blood orangecello in the freezer and enjoy it very, very cold.

blood orange-6



20 comments:

  1. I was just clicking around your site the other day wondering how moving went for you. I'm still getting over moving from Chicago to CT. Finally made my first cake in the new place. I felt like I was cheating on my old place for a brief while :) Glad to see you posting again. Hope the new digs begin to feel like home fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds incredible. I actually think this could be a great replacement for the tequila and blood orange juice in my blood orange jalapeno margarita! I can't wait to try it - especially since winter has such great citrus.
    http://thejunkdrunk.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/cocktail-party-blood-orange-jalapeno-margarita/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! I love your humor Yossy. Utterly beautiful photographs. So glad to have you back on the blog and living closer to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't drink much, but it's recipes like this that make me want to sit down with a cocktail. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're getting ready to move as well and I know it's going to be the moving on, as you say, that's going to be hard. I can't wait to be in our new place but there's so many memories where we live now and it's just going to be different. Better, but different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ADORE BLOOD ORANGES!!! This sounds like such a good idea to make, need to get my hands on some before they've all gone.

    FoodNerd x

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a treat idea . Love it and the color is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant "great" idea. Jeesh!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both right, it's a great treat!

      Delete
  9. This sounds so good! I have a batch of limoncello going (this just seems to happen when you have a lemon tree in the backyard), but no other citrus liqueurs. I know what I'm getting at next week's farmer's market...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was so thrilled when a post from you popped up in the reader, Yossy! Glad to hear that you're somewhat more settled and that you have a whole spice drawer to yourself! So baller.

    And I've been trying to think of a way to preserve my serious adoration for blood oranges as they dwindle. This idea is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! You're back! I'm happy your move went well - it's always a difficult transition, but your new place sounds rad. Spice drawers are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this looks amazing! The colour in those oranges is divine and I love the photo of the squeezed skins. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful photos! And so glad to see a post from you. I hope you are feeling settled and comfortable in your new place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Moving on is always a tiny bit difficult. Even if needed and wanted. Hope you are setted in as much as possible.

    Love the blood orancello. And the photos are beautiful.

    Mikey F.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,
    We’ve recently launched the website RecipesUS.com. It’s a search engine that aims to gather all the best recipes from US websites and blogs in one place. We’ve noticed that you have a lot of great looking recipes on your blog that we would love to feature on our site. To read more about how it all works and to sign up with your blog, please visit: http://recipesus.com or send us an email on info@recipesus.com. We look forward to hearing from you!

    Kind regards,
    Senka

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your move, Yossy. That's big. And living together for six years in a one-bedroom apartment... impressive. This orangecello sounds fantastic, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, K! It was actually a studio, not even a one-bedroom apartment if you can believe it.

      Delete
  17. This is a great take on limoncello. You've inspired me... Gonna use white whiskey rather than vodka, just to put my own spin on it.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!