Thursday, March 21, 2013

Grapefruit and Bergamot Jam

grapefruit jam

I've been known to go pretty citrus crazy this time of year, but due to our move and some other circumstances I scaled down my usual citrus extravaganza to more of a low-key citrus shindig this time around. Despite my late start to the season, I still managed to get my paws on a lone bergamot that I knew would be the perfect addition to Marisa's grapefruit jam that I had bookmarked last year. If you are a marmalade wimp like me, this jam will be right up your alley. The small amount of bergamot zest adds a bitter, floral note to this preserve which I admit sounds odd, but if you like earl grey tea you know what I am talking about.

Next year I am going to order some real-deal Seville oranges like Tim from Lottie and Doof.

Grapefruit and Bergamot Jam
adapted from Food in Jars
yield 2 pints
If you can't find bergamot oranges where you live don't let that turn you away from this recipe. This jam is super tasty even without the extra hit of bitter bergamot flavor.

8 grapefruit (approximately 4 pounds)
1 bergamot orange
2 1/2 cups granulated white sugar

1. Wash and dry the fruit and prepare your canning jars.
2. Use a vegetable peeler to remove the peel from the bergamot being careful to avoid the bitter white pith, then slice the peels into very thin strips. Combine the zest strips with about 2 cups of cold water in a medium sized saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook the zest strips until they are very soft, about 30 minutes then drain and rinse them quickly with cool water. Juice the bergamot and reserve it for later.
3. Supreme the grapefruit by cutting away the tops and bottoms of the fruit, then with a very sharp knife, cut the skin and white pith away from the outside of the fruit and discard it. Over a bowl, carefully cut the wedges of fruit away from the membrane letting the fruit and juices fall into the bowl. Save the membrane and seeds and place them in a cheesecloth bundle. You will use this bundle to add some natural pectin while cooking the marmalade.
4. Add the grapefruit segments, juice, cheesecloth bundle, and prepared bergamot zest and juice into a large, non-reactive pot. Stir in the sugar.
5. Put the pan over high heat and stir until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a rolling boil. Cook the jam, stirring occasionally, until it comes to 220ยบ or passes the wrinkle test. Remove the cheesecloth bundle and ladle the finished jam into prepared jars. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Untitled

20 comments:

  1. Perfect timing--I just brought home a box full of fresh Florida grapefruits that I bought via a school fundraiser. I'll be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this jam sounds so intriguing. I've never heard of a bergamot orange, despite living smack in the middle of citrustown--now I have something new to look out for at the farmer's market!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am in love with that last shot! Where oh where did you find your bergamot orange? (I too am in Brooklyn.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I got my bergamot at Eataly. They may still have some, but I'm not sure!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip! I checked Eataly today, and while they didn't have bergamot oranges, they did have seville. Tempted, but they were looking a little shriveled. Maybe next year?

      Delete
  4. YUM! I have loved bergamot ever since I learned it's what makes my earl grey tea so floral and perfect. This on a crumpet for breakfast? Yes please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! a must try. I've never heard of bergamot orange either! I love earl grey and also grow herb bergamot/bee balm...must look for the 'orange' now. Your photos are mouth watering! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my this sounds so yummy! I LOVE making jam and giving it as gifts, my favourite is chilli jam but I will definitely give this one a go :).

    Rachael xx.

    http://theteacozykitchen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that jam! Now I'm looking for bergamot oranges desperately ;-) if I don't succed I'll make it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This jam would go great on toast for breakfast. Thanks for sharing the marmalade love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks absolutely lovely. I hope I find bergamots when I got to the market on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been thinking of making grapefruit jam lately. LIke you, I just can't get enough sitrus!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this sounds delicious! love the style and feel of your blog

    Beth x http://crumbs-baking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely can't wait to make this. My husband adores grapefruit so this sounds perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  14. As always, the pictures are so beautiful, they always give me such good vibes! :-) I'm sure this jam tastes like heaven.
    Loved being back and red your posts again!
    xoxo
    Gemma.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE earl grey tea and I adore marmalade. This kind of sounds like a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have read your post! I would love to buy some of this for my cooking. Thank you so much for this wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!